Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Cooking up a softer image

Is this a trend? First, the May 2 Sydney Morning Herald runs a puff piece on the Muslim cleric Sheik Taj el-Din al Hilaly, who gained notoriety by likening rape victims to uncovered meat that gets eaten by cats, with a photo showing him whipping up a dish in his kitchen, where, the cutline notes, “he says he is happiest.” Now, we have an Aug. 28 Agence France-Presse dispatch highlighting the culinary proclivities of Iran’s megalomaniac President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad:

"Before (I became president) I used to do the grocery shopping. Now sometimes I help in the kitchen and I know how to make all the Iranian food," Ahmadinejad said.

Pressed by the interviewer for more details, Ahmadinejad continued in typically defiant fashion.

"Of course what I make is delicious – ask everyone who has eaten it! I can make all the different kinds of soups and Iranian stews."

Infidel readers are apparently supposed to be reassured by these homey depictions, intended to obscure what these pious Muslim leaders are really interested in cooking – to wit, our goose.

No comments: